Thursday, July 23, 2009

On that Intangibly Thin Ice

One example of the things that have been bothering me since we started our Introduction to Psychiatry, is how the range of normality can be all too microscopic.

Too happy, you're labelled as a manic. Too depressed, they'll be diagnosing you as having major depressive disorder. Too crazy, you're deemed psychotic (God Forbid!) and you'll be strapped tightly and will be on your merry way to the nearest psychiatric ward, free of charge. Not crazy enough, and they'll give you "neurosis" or some other disorders.
Because we are human beings, generally speaking, our emotions and moods fluctuate. Fluctuate too much, we'll get cyclothymia. Swing too far into both of the extremes, that's bipolar. Zero emotions? Blunting or flattening of mood.

Roughly two years ago, I'd admit without a second thought that I absolutely adore Psychology. Ask me now, and I'm not sure if I can say that I like Psychiatry with much fervour anymore.

Maybe it's because I simply prefer learning the theories in the pre-clinical years than the practical aspect we're made to perform starting our third year in med school.

Maybe it's the fear of seeing psychiatric patients in the flesh and standing within their reach. Maybe it's the tons of different criteria to remember for different disorders and diseases. Maybe it's how things may, at times, appear to be far too subjective for one to derive proper diagnoses and conclusions. Maybe it's the discomfort of knowing that the lecturers in the department might be picking up some personal quirks and finding them rather suggestive of certain disorders, and then arranging some psychiatric help before one could become aware much less protest against.

...Or, maybe, it's the utter devastation of knowing that there is some probability of falling headfirst into the dark and endless chasm of instability, knowing how close one is to the edge, what with a myriad of unhealthy and possibly disturbing notions already toying with one's mind and bent on crushing one's self-control.

Current Music: Battlefield - Jordin Sparks

 
template by freebloggerdesigns.blogspot.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com