Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Hon

So my dad gave me a book called Don't Be Sad, which is the English translation of (the hit?) Laa Tahzan.

I've so far read up to page 49, and as I had assumed, the book failed to affect me much.

I'd be lying if I were to say that it has zero effect on me. There is a little difference, but it's not enough to boost me up from sub-sea level of depression.
I'd be frank; So far whatever I've been reading, around 85% of them is precisely what I've been telling myself all along. It's no longer a question of knowing, but being.

Things about God being the Ultimate Power. Check.

On how things could be a lot worse. Check.

Things about His Plannings being the best one for an individual. Check.

Things about making the most out of the present, and forgetting the past. Check.

Things about people are people. Check.

Not being like others, but be yourself. Check.

Differences among people, and that there won't be a time when everyone will agree with you. Check.

In other words, check, check, check, and more check.

But I do like the way the author inserted Quranic verses here and there appropriately.

His argument about the future being an abstract entity, though, is something that I tend to disagree with.

It's true that the future can't be reached until we come to it, whereby it will by then become the present, and the current present turns into the past. I think about the future a lot, because it provides direction. It gives a glimpse as to what you want to achieve, and and idea as to how you're to utilise the present to shape the future that you want.

...My argument is weak, but it's still the principle that I've been holding on to for the past...ten years (Before that, I was too dumb to realise the harsh realities the world has to offer).

Will I finish the book eventually? Perhaps, but I doubt it'd be any time soon - I've other things to read and memorise. I do hope no one would ask about my progress, because I won't even dare call it a progress, as far as my reading is concerned.

Will I actually change my mind about the book? I don't know, and I don't care.

Don't get me wrong - it's a good book. People can and do benefit from it.

It's just not good enough to revolutionalise my life.

People tend to exaggerate, yes. It depends on what is it that you're exaggerating.


Current Music: death wish - Gackt

 
template by freebloggerdesigns.blogspot.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com