Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Frustration Knows My Name

This has proven to be too much.

I don't know why I'm so stressed out. Still trying to figure out the answer to that, and yet…in the process I unearth so many possible answers that, in the end, results in more depression and stress.

I'm not even sure if I can do this any longer. The dirty works of clerking cases (Answer my simple questions, don't take me round and round…I've no time and no patience), taking blood, filling up stupid notification forms (damn paperworks, I didn't sign up for secretarial work!), and parents who can't leave us alone (for the last time, stop asking me the things that the nurses are in charge of!), re-inserting branulas in kids who are prone to have them dislodged (it's unwise for me to do it in kids in whom I have had bad history/impression) and for God's sake stop crying already!

Difficult parents are another issue…which probably merit an entry of their own. But honestly, come on…if you want first class treatment, go to private!

There has to be a more efficient way to do things. It feels like we've been doing repetitive work, and it's not like re-writing those damn things actually give us better understanding of the patient. I mean, hello? After three, four patients who presented with the same complaints of fever, cough and runny nose…I've given up hope in trying  to remember! And people at the emergency department, please do us a huge favor and stop admitting cases that need no admissions in the first place! Do you know how much work it costs us, and how many discharge summaries are still pending!? And why must tracing lab results be such a hassle?

In any case…sure, it's easy for patients or their relatives to insist on their rights to be seen as "people with feelings". Shouldn't we, medical practitioners, be viewed the same way, seeing that we're also people with feelings? Or can it be said that just because "it's our job", it automatically negates us of our own rights to be respected and some space to actually get our job done?!

In summary, I'm still hating Paediatrics.

I don't know how much longer I can survive this. I mean, Surgical's going to be worse…and what chance do I have, when I can't even keep up right now?

…Or maybe I just hate the hospital. Yeah.

Current Music: Fix You - Coldplay

 
template by freebloggerdesigns.blogspot.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com