Saturday, June 23, 2007

Fansubbers vs Pro (?) Subtitlers

And such, ladies and gentlemen, is people.
The local tv network started airing Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (which, henceforth, shall be abbreviated to SHnY for one very simple reason - I'm too lazy to type...) tonight, in the non-chronological order. I pity those who might find it hard to grasp, but saa...that's life for you anyhow.
Although the tv people retained the series in its original language (yay, no dubbers for this one! I'm getting bored figuring out who's who...it's no fun, unlike in the case of Japanese seiyuu...), the subtitles still present a big problem.
Fansubs are, without a doubt, more dedicated in the cause compared to the people who work as 'subtitlers' by a long shot, hands down. The former beat the latter in three categories:
1) Timing: Yup. Higher accuracy. You know how sometimes the dialogue overlap? Fansubs have enough common sense and generosity to include both (or more!). Simply superb (what else can I say?).
2) Detail: Sometimes a series introduces certain terms integral to the plot, and to make the viewer more acquainted with the world in the series. We don't see that plus-point with our local subtitles. Amazingly meticulous (and generous, too).
3) Creativity: Nice fonts and colours (which is sometimes used to distinguish the speakers, particularly when there's dialogue overlap). Aesthetics count.
What's interesting about fansubbers being superior to subbers...is that the former don't really get paid (or do they?). They know about the series in and out (or, at least, almost), and they utilise their knowledge and sacrifice their time so that other fans can benefit from their hard work.
Without money coming in.
But the pro-subs (...I'm starting to think the term is inaaccurate...) are paid. They get to put their names at the end of the series.
Still, fansubbers are better.
Which goes to show that passion and interest do play a humongous part in determining the outcome, and not just money.
Saa, quoting one of our respected lecturers in my Uni..."Remember to have fun!"

Current Music: Mosaic Kakera - SunSet Swish

P/s:
The PV for this song is pretty good. Not top notch, but nice. How the vocalist walks on while the buildings and other stuff organise into their forms in the background...Tho personally I must admit I was surprised to see how the vocalist looks like. His voice gave me the wrong idea on how he could have looked like...
Anyhow, it's the 2nd ED of Code Geass (which, although I can safely say I've all of the episodes so far, I've yet to _really_ immerse myself in the story), and perhaps, in my opinion, the best song for the series, collectively.

 
template by freebloggerdesigns.blogspot.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com