Sunday, May 03, 2009

Of Ships and Seas

Sometimes you just have to assume command of your life, because you're the navigator and that steering wheel has your name inscribed on it.

If one were to ask me how I view life in general, I'd say that it resembles more of the open sea than the typical road that we are used to. Remember Robert Frost's The Road not Taken?

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that, the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

So why would I go for the "life is an open sea" concept?

Partly because the vast ocean holds more mysteries than an open road, and certainly deeper and more frightening.

Rightfully, you're in charge of where the ship is to go. And because the sea is wide open, your options are aplenty depending on your own potential and the own limitations that you have set for yourself.

Turning back to return to dry land is not really possible, because while you were away, things on land have changed by the virtue of time.

The strength of your ship is determined by the strength of your own person as a whole. There'll be the forces of nature to reckon with, and if you're unlucky, you'll meet a bunch of pirates who're only too keen to loot and damage you, leaving you helpless and miserable.

Screwing up means that your vessel is doomed, as undignified as the once-majestic Titanic that succumbed to an iceberg because of that thing we call "Pride". Sinking into the bottomless sea is the only way to go if you're too far from the shores, with no rescue team out to save you.

You're chained to that ship you're commandeering. No matter how many people you have onboard, those that claim to be with you through thick and thin, ultimately, there'll be enough lifeboats for everyone else but you. Because you're bonded to that ship, if it goes down, it takes you with it.

Eventually, it doesn't really matter if you know how to swim either.

Current Music: Garnet Moon - Shimatani Hitomi

 
template by freebloggerdesigns.blogspot.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com