This entry can't be too long, because I seriously need to curb my unhealthy addiction to the Net.
I had to present a case this morning to Mr. P. Let's just say that it went well; better than I had expected, although I probably did not do as good as I had hoped to. What I'd like to highlight here is how he said that the teaching environment in the ward is "a necessary evil".
One thing that I had trouble with was how I viewed us medical students as meddlesome. That is, we had to impose ourselves on the patients, squeeze their history out of them including (read: especially) hush-hush issues (*cough*sexualpromiscuity*cough*intravenousdruguse*cough*), and use up their time in the ward, where one may say that they deserve all the rest they can get. But no, they had to have their sleep interrupted when we had to clerk and examine them, and the feeling of being an object of display and/or experiment for our viewing pleasure may be condescending to some if not many people. And visitors might find it irritating when they see us taking up the attention of their relative/friend/whoever-it-is-they're-visiting instead of the latter appreciating their good will to come and visit.
Maybe I should start correcting my perception.
Sure, I could be evil for intruding on their privacy. On the other hand, the greater evil would be not learning properly by stupidly passing up this opportunity to really polish my social and clinical skills for use in the future, where lives are on the line and my MBBS, if I ever procure one (God Help me!), at stake.
One or two bad eggs should not stop me from doing this. Who are they compared to the Almighty, whom I should dedicate my life and passion to?
Current Music: Mirage - AAA



